The Northern Sydney PHN has released its 2016 report into the health needs of people residing in Northern Sydney.
The findings will play an important role in shaping the delivery of local, and primary health care services.
A changing, growing and ageing demographic highlights at-risk groups, geographic hotspots, and specific health challenges that need to be addressed in the Northern Sydney region.
The needs assessment analyses 73 health areas and compasses a region of 899 kilometres with a total population of 892,566.
A snapshot of the findings from the report include:
- Alcohol related hospitalisation – In Mosman (54% higher than NSW), in Manly (53% higher than NSW), and in Lane Cove (45% higher).
- Female hospitalisations are increasing at a higher rate than males.
- Cancer – Over 5,000 people are expected to be diagnosed with cancer in 2016.
- Childhood Immunisation – Childhood immunisation rates in the region are lower than the national average:
- One year olds – 90.8% in Northern Sydney compared with 91.3% nationally.
- Two year olds – 87.6% in Northern Sydney compared with 89.2% nationally.
- Five year olds – 90.4% in Northern Sydney compared with 92.2% nationally.
- Chronic Conditions – An estimated 40.2% of the population has one or more chronic conditions compared with the 42.3% state average in NSW.
- Disability – More than 27,000 people in the Northern Sydney region have a profound or severe disability.
- Emergency Department Attendance – The 0 to 4 years and 80+ year’s age groups have the highest rates of emergency department attendance of all age groups in the Northern Sydney region between 2010 and 2014.
- Mental Health – 12% of people report having a long-term mental health condition.
- Mental Health – The mental health and wellbeing of young people in the region has been identified as an area of particular concern, with issues relating to bullying, self-harm, anxiety and depression.
- Population Growth – In the next 15 years, the population of people aged over 65 is projected to increase by 43.3%
- Premature Death – Almost 1 in 5 premature deaths are attributed to lung, colorectal or breast cancers in the region.
- Youth – There are approximately two separate presentations to an Emergency Department every day in the region for self-harm or suicidal thoughts or attempts in the 15 to 19 years age group.
With these results the next step is to commission health services that will meet the identified needs.
The Northern Sydney PHN will collaborate with health partners to maximise service usage to achieve better health care for the community.
For the full Needs Assessment report click here.
For further Health Information and Fact Sheet click here.